f you're reading this, you're probably in vacation mode already. Congratulations, my friend! You've worked hard, and now it's time to kick back, relax and enjoy some well-deserved R&R.
But before you go, there's one thing you need to do: set up your out-of-office message. You know, that automatic reply that lets people know you're not available and when you'll be back.
Here's the thing, though– these messages don't have to be boring and formal. Quite the opposite, it’s a great opportunity to show off your quirky side, make a lasting impression on your colleagues, and build rapport with clients.
So, why settle for a plain and generic out-of-office when a funny one is so much more… fun! In this article, we’ll look at 17 examples of funny out-of-office messages for different occasions so you get inspired. Heck, you can steal some of these if you want!
Funny OOO Messages for Vacation Time
I know you’re ready to hit the beach with a pina colada and the little pink umbrella, so here are some vacation OOO messages to let people know you’re out living your best life:
- I'm currently out of the office, and not even the lure of a full inbox can make me come back. See you when my tan fades!
- I'm out of the office doing things I love, like spending time with my family, eating delicious food, and ignoring work emails. Don't worry; I'll be back soon! If it’s an emergency, please dial 911.
- I'm not in the office at the moment, but if you really need me, you can find me at the beach. (I'll be the one with the drink in my hand and toes in the sand!)
- I'm currently on vacation and can’t respond to your email because I'm too busy drinking margaritas and chasing seagulls. Sorry, not sorry!
Funny OOO Messages for Christmas & NYE
It’s a time for celebration and spending time with friends and family! Use something like this for your OOO message during the holiday season:
- Ho, ho, ho! I'm currently on vacation to the North Pole to visit Santa and his elves. I'll be sure to let him know you've been good this year. Happy holidays!
- I'm out of the office for New Year's Eve, but don't worry; I've already made a resolution to respond to your email as soon as I return. Cheers to a new year!
- I'm taking time off for the holidays, and instead of writing emails, I'm writing my wish list for next year. Spoiler alert: it includes more vacation time.
Funny Out-of-Office Messages for Thanksgiving
While you’re at home stuffing your face with delicious turkey and pies, here’s some excellent OOO messages to let people know what you’re up to.
- I'm out of the office for Thanksgiving and currently giving thanks for the chance to avoid my inbox for a few days. I'll be back soon, feeling grateful and slightly bloated. Happy Thanksgiving!
- I'm on Thanksgiving vacation and trading my laptop for a plate of stuffing. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Sorry, I’m going up a few pants sizes while I spend time with friends and family for Thanksgiving right now. Leave your message, and I’ll get back to you ASAP. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!
- I'm out of the office for Thanksgiving, and instead of answering emails, I'm answering the age-old question of pumpkin or pecan pie. If you need me, please leave a message with your favorite pie recipe!
Funny OOO Messages for Maternity Leave
When a new baby comes into your life, it’s only right to take some time off for your new bundle of joy. Here are some OOO for this special moment.
- I'm currently on maternity leave, which means I'm trading my work shoes for cute baby booties. If you need me, please be patient, because my new boss cries a lot. Thanks for understanding!
- New baby on board! And I’m learning to balance work and parenthood. If you need me, please leave a message, and I'll get back to you when I can figure out how to balance a laptop and a baby at the same time.
- I'm out of the office for a while, because I've got a new project in the works. It's a tiny human, and it requires my full attention. Leave your message, and I'll respond when I can steal a moment of free time.
Funny OOO Messages for Sick Leave
Unfortunately, we’ll all get sick at some point and need time to recover. When it happens to you, these humorous sick-leave messages can let people know you’re in high spirits.
- Right now, I’m not in the office because I’m down with the sniffles. It's nothing serious (but it does mean that I can't smell the coffee brewing in the break room). Please have an extra cup for me. I'll be back soon!
- I'm not in the office because of illness, but don't worry; it's not contagious. Unless you count my bad jokes, which can be pretty infectious. I'll be back soon, so prepare yourself for some terrible puns.
- I'm currently out of the office due to an unexpected illness, but I'm not going to let it get me down. I'm treating myself to some chicken soup, a good book, and a warm blanket.
Best Practices When Writing Funny Out-of-Office Messages
I’ll leave you with the best practices to keep in mind so you can craft your own genius OOO message for a myriad of cases, such as for a wedding, team-building conferences, and more.
- Let people know who to contact while you're away if anything urgent arises.
- Keep your audience in mind– not everyone responds to jokes the way you think they will. For example, if you mainly email your sales colleagues, they’ll have a different response to how a very formal client might respond.
- Consider including links to relevant resources or information that might be helpful to the person trying to reach you.
- Keep it lighthearted and fun but still informative– people should know when they can expect you to be back and how to reach you.
- Keep it concise because a few sentences are enough to convey the necessary information and a bit of humor.
- While injecting personality and humor into your message is great, be mindful of oversharing personal information.
- Before setting your OOO message, run it by someone you trust to ensure it's appropriate and effective.
- Once you're back in the office, turn off your OOO message.
Now you’ve got examples of some great OOO messages and tips to make your own. The only thing left to do now is turn on the auto-reply and enjoy your time off!