Let's talk about something essential for any successful SEO strategy: building strong relationships with other websites and acquiring high-quality backlinks.
Now, outreach is a crucial part of acquiring backlinks, but crafting the perfect outreach message can be challenging.
The subject line is your first impression. It can be the difference between your email getting opened and ignored. That's why a great subject line is vital for successful outreach efforts aimed at backlink acquisition.
In this article, I’ll share 40+ game-changing subject line samples for backlink outreach that you can adapt to your outreach strategy.
These subject lines will help you stand out from the competition, grab the recipient's attention, and increase their responses!
The Best Subject Lines for Guest Post Link Outreach
One effective way to acquire backlinks is through guest posting – creating high-quality content for other websites or blogs in exchange for a backlink to your site. The key is to find sites and blogs that are relevant to your industry or niche.
There are many ways to find sites that accept guest posts. You can use Google search to find blogs in your industry that accept guest posts, or you can use tools like BuzzSumo, Ahrefs, or SEMrush to find popular blogs in your niche.
Once you find the right blogs, read their guidelines carefully and follow them to the letter.
Here are some subject lines you can use or adapt for getting guest post opportunities:
- I Have X Article Ideas for [[Site Name]]
- I'd Love to be Your Writer for a Day, [[Site Name]]
- Have You Heard About [[Interesting Topic]]?
- You Have to Hear This Story, [[Editor Name]]!
- I'm a Huge Fan of [[Site Name]] and Want to Contribute
- Why [[Site Name]] is the Perfect Platform for My Guest Post
- My Latest Post is a Perfect Fit for [[Site Name]]
- My Content is Already Generating Buzz - Let's Share it with Your Audience!
And here’s an extra one I found on Twitter:
Link Reclaiming Subject Lines
Another way to acquire backlinks is through link reclamation – reaching out to sites that have mentioned your brand or product but haven't linked back to your site. It's a great opportunity to turn an existing mention into a backlink and boost your SEO.
When it comes to link reclaiming, timing is critical. You want to strike while the iron is hot and reach out to the site as soon as possible after they've mentioned your brand. Keep in mind that not every mention will lead to a backlink, but it's always worth trying.
Here are some examples of subject lines you can use to claim your links as part of backlink outreach:
- Thanks for Mentioning [[Brand/Product]] ([[Article Title]])
- Quick Question About [[Topic]] (from [[Company]])
- Did You Mean to Link to Us?
- Hey, You Mentioned [[Brand/Product]]
- Your Readers Would Love to Check [[Brand/Product]] Out.
- We're Huge Fans of Your Site – Can We Get a Link?
I love FOMO or Fear Of Missing Out – it’s a powerful motivator that plays on people's emotions and can be an effective strategy for getting backlinks through cold email outreach.
By creating a sense of urgency or scarcity, you can encourage website owners to link to your content in order to not miss out on a valuable opportunity.
- Don't Forget to Cover This Topic!
- Limited Time Offer: Get Access to Our Latest Research
- This Content is Only Available for a Limited Time
- Exclusive Access: Be the First to Share The Latest Insights
- You're Not Going to Want to Miss This!
- Our Latest Post is Taking the Internet by Storm
- Don't Be Left Behind – Check Out Our Latest Content
- Join the [[Brand/Product]] Movement Before It's Too Late
- X Reasons You’re Going to Fail at [[Topic]]
A Little Bribery
As the old saying goes, "Scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours."
In the world of backlink outreach, a little bit of “bribery” can go a long way in building relationships and securing those invaluable backlinks. By offering a small incentive or reward, you can create a sense of reciprocity and goodwill to help you achieve your goals.
- Question about [[Topic]] – I'll Buy You Coffee
- Want a Free Sample of Our Product? Just Give Us a Shoutout!
- Want us to Feature [[Company]] in Our Next Newsletter?
- Want a Discount on [[Product/Service]]?
- Who Doesn’t Love Free Pizza?
- Give Me a Link, and I’ll Give You a Cookie!
- I See Some Free Cake in Your Future
Of course, you don’t have to actually give out free pizza, cake, or coffee, but the person on the other end of your email might appreciate the humor and sentiment.
Straightforward Subject Line Samples for Link Outreach
When it comes to outreach emails for backlinks, sometimes honesty is the best policy. There's no need to beat around the bush or come up with elaborate subject lines if you can clearly state what you're looking for.
Take this example I found on Twitter:
They were able to get 9 backlinks from only 53 emails – a 17% success rate.
Here are some more straightforward, honest subject lines:
- We're Looking to Build More Connections – Can We Feature Your Site?
- Can We Collaborate on Content? We're Looking for Backlink Opportunities
- A Request for a Backlink – No Fancy Subject Lines Here
- Looking to Build Relationships – Can We Feature Your Content?
- Can We Get a Backlink from Your Site?
- Connecting with Fellow [[Industry]] Professionals - Can We Get a Backlink?
- We're Looking to Expand Our Reach
- Can We Work Together to Build Our Online Presence?
While it's always good to get creative with your outreach emails, sometimes the classic methods are just as effective. Here are a few tried and true subject lines for getting backlinks:
- [[Your Company]] + [[Their Company]] = Link Love?
- Quick Question About [Topic/Industry/Product]
- Congrats on [[Accomplishment]], [[First Name]]
- OMG [[First Name]], Have You Seen This Yet?
- Love Your Content – Let's Collaborate!
- Time to Check-in [[Their Company]]!
One of the most effective and memorable ways to get noticed is by getting creative with your subject lines. This is an opportunity to show your human side, connect with your target audience personally, and stand out from the crowd.
From video games to sports, here are some creative and fun subject line ideas:
- The Legend of [[First Name]]: A Link to Our Site
- The Game of Links: Will You Join Our House?
- Let's Score a Backlink Touchdown!
- Let's Link Up Like Mario and Luigi!
- Are You Ready to Join Forces and Conquer [[Topic/Industry]] Together?
- Here’s an Insane Idea for [[Topic/Industry]] That Might Just Work!
- Use The Force for Good: Link to Our Site
You can even experiment with emojis in the subject line!
Best Practices for Crafting Subject Lines for Backlink Requests
Crafting a killer subject line for your backlink outreach emails can be a bit of a puzzle. But no worries, I've got some best practices to help you nail it:
- Have an Asset Worth Linking to: If you have a generic article that’s in no way different from others in the SERPs, you might have a hard time getting it placed. Try to do original research whenever possible, feature new perspectives and angles, or simply go the extra mile while your competitors cut corners.